Timothy C. EarlShareholder
Timothy C. Earl is chair of the Firm’s Construction and Insurance practice group, and is an experienced litigation attorney practicing primarily in the areas of construction litigation, insurance coverage, and business litigation. His insurance coverage practice involves representation of policyholders and insurance companies in a variety of insurance coverage disputes primarily involving property damage or bodily injury arising out of construction defect and asbestos claims. He represents policyholders in declaratory relief and bad faith actions against insurers and has represented insurers in subrogation and contribution actions against other insurers.
Mr. Earl’s construction litigation practice primarily involves the representation of developers, architects, engineers, general contractors and subcontractors in both residential and commercial contexts, both in private and public work projects. He also represents sureties on various bond claims. He has handled numerous indemnity claims on behalf of developers and general contractors. Mr. Earl has also tried cases involving construction defect, bid protest and indemnity claims.
Mr. Earl’s business litigation practice involves the representation of numerous companies. He has represented limited partnerships involved in disputes over financing of the development of real estate, as well as disputes involving trade secrets, trademark infringement, unfair business practices, defamation, unfair competition, contractual disputes, business tort and fraud claims, and has defended companies and individuals in numerous SLAPP lawsuits involving claims of invasion of privacy, malicious prosecution, negligence, and other torts.
Mr. Earl has an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale‐Hubbell. He was named a Top Lawyer of Southern California in 2014-2018 by the LA Times, Top San Diego Lawyer in 2014-2018 by San Diego Magazine, and a Top San Diego Attorney in Insurance Coverage in 2015 by San Diego Daily Transcript. He is also recognized in the top 1% of The American Registry, “Best of the Best” for 2016.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1994
- University of California, Davis, B.A., 1991
Seminars and Courses:
- Panelist, “Appellate Decisions in McMillin Management Services, L.P., et al. v. Financial Pacific Insurance Company, et al. and Pulte Home Corp. v. American Safety Indemnity Co.,” Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC), November 2017
- Presenter, “Construction Law: Wrapping Your Head Around Wrap Policies,” AGC San Diego, November 2017
- Panelist, “We Can Resolve Construction Defect Claims Early,” West Coast Casualty Seminar, May 2017
- Program Chair, “Insurance in the Construction Industry,” The Seminar Group, March 2017
- Presenter, “Insurance Archaeology – Raiders of the Lost Policies,” San Diego County Bar Association, May 2016
- Panelist, “Known Loss Exclusions, Prior Loss Exclusions,” and “Insurance Broker Liability,” The Seminar Group, January 2016
- Panelist, MC Consultants, Construction Litigation and Insurance Seminar, “Strategies for Case Resolution,” September 2015
- Panelist, “Construction Defect Litigation & Coverage Issues (The Developer vs. GC/Sub-Contractor Cage Match),” MC Consultants West Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference, September 2014
- Panelist, “Duty to Settle,” Construction Law Section, Orange County Bar Association, August 2014
- Panelist, “Duty to Settle,” The Seminar Group, March 2014
- Panelist, “Additional Insured Endorsements, Legal & Practical Issues,” MC Consultants 19th Annual West Regional Const. Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference, September 2013
- Panelist, “SB 800 – Is it Still Worth Fighting For?” Association of Southern California Defense Counsel and the Construction Defect Claims Managers Association, December 2013
- Panelist, “Trends in Risk Transfer,” Construction Law and Insurance Sections of the San Diego County Bar Association, August 2012
- Panelist, “Wrapping Your Brain Around the Emerging Coverage Issues in Construction Defect Cases,” Construction Law Section, Orange County Bar Association, August 2012
- Panelist, “Yellow Brass Submarine,” West Coast Casualty Conference, May 2012
- Panelist, “Uncertainty for Trade Contractors – Wrap Programs,” West Coast Casualty Conference, May 2006
- Panelist, “Wrap Insurance Seminar,” Professional Association of Specialty Contractors Southern California Meeting, February 2004
- Panelist, “Creative Strategies for Handling Construction Defect Claims in California,” Lorman Education Services, September 2003
- Panelist, “Creative Strategies for Handling Construction Defect Claims in California,” Lorman Education Services, September 2002
- Presenter, “California Law for Design Professionals,” Lorman Education Services, September 2002
- Panelist, “California Law for Design Professionals,” Lorman Education Services, September 2001
- Panelist, “Construction Litigation in California,” Lorman Education Services, July 2001
- Panelist, “California Law for Design Professionals,” Lorman Education Services, August 2000
- Centex Golden Const. Co. v. Dale Tile Company, 78 Cal. App. 4th 992 (2000)
Mr. Earl was admitted to the California State Bar in 1994, and is a member of the American Bar Association and San Diego County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice before all courts of the State of California as well as the United States District Court for the Central and Southern Districts.