Catherine A. Hanna-BlentzasShareholder
Catherine A. Hanna-Blentzas is a member of the Firm’s Construction, Insurance, Real Estate, and Commercial and Business Litigation practice groups. Her construction law experience spans both public works and private projects, and her construction practice involves a wide variety of issues including breach of contract, breach of the implied warranty of completeness/accuracy of government plans and specifications, contract interpretation, extra work claims, performance disputes, delay and disruption claims, differing site conditions claims, owner/general contractor disputes, general contractor/subcontractor disputes, and mechanic’s lien claims.
Ms. Hanna-Blentzas also has expertise advising policyholders regarding insurance coverage issues, securing insurance coverage on their behalf, and representing them in declaratory relief and bad faith actions.
Prior to joining Sullivan Hill, Ms. Hanna-Blentzas practiced title insurance defense litigation and gained invaluable land use experience while working with the City of San Diego in the Council President’s Office and the Code Enforcement Unit of the City Attorney’s Office. While attending law school, she gained in-house transactional experience as a law clerk for Jack in the Box, Inc. at its San Diego headquarters.
Ms. Hanna-Blentzas was included in the 2017 California Rising Stars list in the areas of Insurance Coverage and Construction Litigation. She was also recognized as a Top Young Attorney by the San Diego Daily Transcript in 2011.
Ms. Hanna-Blentzas served as the chair of the San Diego County Bar Association’s Insurance/Bad Faith Law Section for 2016 and currently sits on its Executive Committee.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of California, Davis, B.A., 2003
- Obtained $8.25 million settlement from the San Diego Port District and its design professional on behalf of general contractor client arising out of extra work and differing site conditions claims on dredging and capping project in the San Diego Bay.
- Obtained $4.575 million settlement from several contractor and design professional defendants on behalf of lender clients for negligent impairment of security interest arising out of construction defects and resulting property damage to mixed-use luxury condominium development.
- Defeated excess/umbrella carrier’s motion for summary adjudication of its duty to defend developer client in underlying construction defect case on the basis that the excess/umbrella carrier was required to provide alternate primary coverage for claims excluded by developer’s primary policy.
- “The Duty to Settle Construction Defect Actions” – San Diego County Bar Association
- “The Duty to Settle Construction Defect Claims (from the Insured and Carrier Perspectives)” – Orange County Bar Association
- “California’s Mechanic’s Lien Law” – Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
Ms. Hanna-Blentzas is a member of the State Bar of California, the Federal Bar Association, the San Diego County Bar Association, the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and Lawyers Club of San Diego. She serves on the board for the San Diego Chapter of the UC Davis Cal Aggie Alumni Association and currently chairs the association’s scholarship committee. Ms. Hanna-Blentzas is also an alumnus of the Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court.